Great Barrier Reef Liveaboard 7 days
Scuba dive Australia’s Great Barrier Reef’s famous Cod Hole and Ribbon Reefs with liveaboard dive boat, Spirit of Freedom. This sleek and spacious vessel offers quality liveaboard tours to certified scuba divers and is also suitable for those only wishing to snorkel.
Over your seven day cruise, you will have the opportunity to complete up to 26 scuba dives (including night dives) and spend some time ashore at the beautiful Lizard Island, located in the heart of the Coral Sea.
- 7 Day Full Equipment Rental
- 7 Day Nitrox Package – includes all dives on nitrox
- Advanced Dive Certification Course
- Nitrox Certification Course
Additional Payments Onboard:
*A Marine Park Levy and Port Fee is payable onboard at $25 per person, in Australian Dollars
The Upper Deck
A great place to relax between dives. With undercover and open areas containing timber table, chairs, lounge seating and sun lounges.
The Dining Saloon
The dining room serves as a scuba diving briefing area, theatre room and general meeting place.
All guests can be comfortably seated. A full-screen TV is often the focus of attention for briefings, movies or documentaries.
You can work with your laptops using the wireless internet (when in range).
The Forward Lounge
Another place to relax. With comfortable couch seating and bean bags. You will find a coffee machine, tea selection and hot water, a library and DVDs. For photographers, there is also a camera work station.
The Ships Bar
Offering a good range of quality, Australian and New Zealand win. Plus beer, UDL spirits and soft drinks.
The evening meal includes house wine and soft drinks.
This Vessel is fully licenced – NO BYO.
Click HERE to see other excellent Great Barrier Reef stays.
Scuba Diving expeditions to the Cod Hole and Ribbon Reefs offers World Class scuba diving with outstanding visibility and big fish.
Pick you up from your Cairns hotel around 11:00 am to transfer you to Trinity Wharf.
You will be greeted by the Spirit of Freedom crew, who will give you an orientation of the vessel before a 12noon departure. Enjoy lunch on board while we cruise to the outer Great Barrier Reef for an afternoon check-out dive and a twilight or night dive. After dinner, we travel north to the Ribbon Reefs.
Tuesday and Wednesday
These two days are spent diving at the most northern of the Ribbon Reefs, Number 9 & 10 Ribbon Reefs.
Dive sites and sequence may vary depending on the weather conditions.
Will always include at least one dive at the Cod Hole, where you can look forward to an encounter with a family of massive and very friendly Potato Cod.
Other sites may include Wonder-wall, Pixie Pinnacle, Challenger Bay, Two Towers, Lighthouse Bommie, and the Snake Pit, to name a few.
If the current is right, you may also take a drift dive at Dynamite Pass, well known as a channel for sharks to pass through. Ribbon Reefs. 4 to 5 dives will be available each day, including a night dive on Tuesday.
On Wednesday evening, we overnight at Watson’s Bay, Lizard Island, and enjoy a sunset BBQ dinner on the top deck.
After breakfast, you will have the opportunity to go ashore at Lizard Island. A good chance to stretch your legs on land at this halfway point, you can take the guided walk from Watson’s Beach to Mary Watson’s cottage over Chinaman’s Ridge and back to the beach.
Around 11.00am we will cruise back to Ribbon Reef Number 10 for two dives at a choice of sites including the Snake Pit, Cod Hole, Challenger Bay, Lighthouse Bommie, Pixie Wall, and Pixie Pinnacle. If the tide permits, we may repeat a dive at the Cod Hole or visit new sites. We depart in the evening for a 10-hour crossing to Osprey Reef in the Coral Sea.
Friday and Saturday
Two days will be spent diving Osprey Reef (weather permitting). Australia’s Coral Sea reefs are renown for crystal clear water with visibility ranging 30 to 100 metres. The landscape is fantastic with sheer walls laced with gorgonians, sea whips, and bright yellow soft corals, rising from the ocean floor thousands of feet below.
‘North Horn’ is a dive site at the tip of Osprey where grey reef sharks, Silvertips, and the occasional oceanic congregate,
Experience a close encounter with the Spirit of Freedom shark attraction dive.
4 to 5 dives will be available each day, including a night dive on Friday.
See the dive site page for site selection of some of our dive sites at Osprey Reef.
On Saturday night, we will depart Osprey Reef for overnight travel to the Ribbon Reefs.
At Ribbon Reefs Number 3 we will dive such sites as the sensational Steve’s Bommie, Temple of Doom, and Flare Point. A second option for this day, in special weather conditions, is to head south from Osprey to Bougainville Reef, known for its unusual underwater landscape or caverns, and its partially submerged wreck. On Sunday evening, we will cruise overnight back to Cairns.
We arrive back into Cairns at 6:30 am. Enjoy a light breakfast on board and a group photo opportunity before being dropped back to your Cairns hotel around 08.00am.
This Itinerary is a sample only and sites may vary or change. Access to Cod Hole and the Coral Sea is tide and weather conditional.
- 7 days 7 nights liveaboard accommodation onboard ‘Spirit of Freedom’ – 6½ dive days*
- Up to 26 scuba dives with no set limits on dive duration
- Time ashore at the beautiful Lizard Island
- Bus transfers to and from Cairns City accommodation
- Wonderful chef-prepared meals daily
- Complimentary wine and soft drinks with evening meals
- Air-conditioned, en-suite cabins with daily service
* Basic package based on certified divers with quad-share accommodation. Different cabin styles and prices available upon booking to best suit your requirements – all cabins have private bathrooms and air-conditioning.
- Full Equipment Hire $245
- Regulator and Dive computer $45.00
- Dive computer only $35
- Buoyancy Control Device $45.00
- Torch and Cyalume sticks $10.00
- Wetsuits 3mm and 5mm full Length $30.00
- PADI Advanced Course $265.00
- PADI Nitrox Course $295.00
- 7 Day Nitrox Package $180.00
What to bring
- Personal luggage, clothes, toiletries etc
- Maximum 20 kg (45lb)luggage allowance per person including carry-on.
- Excess baggage secure storage available upon request
- Personal Dive Equipment – Also available for hire upon booking if required.
- (Snorkel-only passengers snorkel equipment provided free of charge)
- Certification card or divers logbook
- Cash or credit card for onboard purchases, Reef Tax & Fuel Levy to pay onboard (mandatory national park fees)
Safety Comes First!
- Advanced Diver Certification with a minimum of 20 ocean dives including five dives in the last 12 months Less experience may result in limited diving due to environmental conditions and remote isolation of dive sites.
- We recommend a Scuba diver Refresher course before your trip.
- Diver Health. If you have a medical condition or are currently taking prescription medication, you will need a Dive Medical clearance under the Australian standard AS. 4005.1. Before being allowed to Scuba Dive.
- For further details contact our Reservations team.
* Maximum 20 kg luggage allowance per person including carry-on. Excess baggage secure storage available upon request
* Please inform of any specific dietary or other requirements upon booking
* Scuba diving is only available to Certified Divers with Open Water level qualification or higher.
Please read the ‘policies’ of your tour below before booking, including terms and conditions